Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Lettering a misspelling

The October 24, 2006 Ripley's Believe It or Not! cartoon features a misspelled word.

I go to great pains to make sure I spell words correctly, and it bothers me a bit when people make obvious mistakes. I'm not talking about true typographical errors (such as when a finger slips and hits a key near the intended key), I'm talking about spelling errors that a writer should know better about. It's easy to blame a word processing program's spell checker that misses "pubic" when you meant to type "public", but software can't be blamed when the one doing the misspelling is a comics letterer.

For example, the text in the October 24 cartoon includes the following hand-lettered mistake: "From 2001 to 2005, Alastair Humphreys peddled around the world on his bike...."

When riding a bicycle, one pedals. Only by carrying around trinkets to sell would one peddle. This is an amateurish mistake, and writers should know better. Letterers, too. (At least, I hope the Believe It or Not! cartoon is still lettered by a person. I lament the development of software that can mimic this art.)

No comments: