Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Accept: Stalingrad




















Well, here are my initial thoughts on Accept's Stalingrad: Very, very good. My thanks to the South Texas Pistolero for convincing me to give it a whirl.

This is timeless metal/hard rock at its finest. Accept has been around since the mid-1970s, and it's really kind of amazing that they are still around. And that they are still cranking out the heavy music like they do. But, they are, and they're doing a good job of it.

I haven't listened to Accept much lately, but part of my rock and metal education came from the band's earlier albums, like Breaker, Restless and Wild, their self-titled debut album, and Balls to the Wall. So it's gratifying to see that they can still get together and produce quality material, and that Wolf Hoffman still shreds like he used to.

The current singer, Mark Tornillo, is a worthy successor for the original screamer, Udo Dirkschneider. Udo was unique, and his contribution to the world of metal is undeniable, but Tornillo works well. At times he kind of sounds kinda like Udo, but at others he sounds a lot like Brian Johnson, and that makes for a fine metal wailer.

The songs that have struck my fancy so far are "Twist of Fate", "Hellfire", and the title track, though all of them are fun to listen to. This was a good buy to make (especially since I got a cool download deal at Amazon for $3.99!), and I thank the Pistolero for his recommendation. By all means, keep making suggestions!


5 comments:

southtexaspistolero said...

At times he kind of sounds kinda like Udo, but at others he sounds a lot like Brian Johnson

Those were my thoughts EXACTLY. I also loved the title track, "Hung, Drawn and Quartered," "Never Forget," and "Revolution." And "Shadow Soldiers" damn near brings a tear to my eye, every time I hear it.

Re: the title track — I thought it was very, very cool to see a German band doing a song about the Battle of Stalingrad from the Russian perspective. No doubt that blew a lot of people's minds.

Albatross said...

"Never Forget,"

Aaaaaaggghhhh!

My "deal" on Amazon apparently doesn't include this bonus track! It's not on my download?

So it's good, huh?

southtexaspistolero said...

Yes, it is! I don't know why they made it a bonus track. I figured it was standard; I ordered the physical cd from the San Pedro Barnes & Noble.

I'll think of more recommendations for you. ;-) I've heard Accept's only previous album with Mark Tornillo, Blood of the Nations, was really good also but haven't gotten it yet. It's probably next on my list.

southtexaspistolero said...

Yes, it is! I don't know why they made it a bonus track. I figured it was standard; I ordered the physical cd from the San Pedro Barnes & Noble.

I'll think of more recommendations for you. ;-) I've heard Accept's only previous album with Mark Tornillo, Blood of the Nations, was really good also but haven't gotten it yet. It's probably next on my list.

Albatross said...

That's a good one. Too bad it was a bonus track.