Thursday, May 21, 2009

What I just finished reading today



My inspiration to seek out, find, and read this book came from a conversation in the comments of this post. While discussing Iron Maiden's Brave New World album, I included a sample of the song "Out of the Silent Planet." Totally unaware of C.S. Lewis's science fiction works, I was surprised when Alan from Blogonomicon told me that the name of the Maiden song came from this book. I was intrigued. Iron Maiden has based some of their songs on literary works, and I was hoping that this would also be the case and I would find a satisfying connection after reading the book.

But it was not to be.

Apparently this is one of those Maiden songs that simply borrows the name of the book without cleaving to the subject matter. Just as Maiden's "Stranger in a Strange Land" has nothing to do with Robert Heinlein's classic, Stranger in a Strange Land, so also Maiden's "Out of the Silent Planet" has nothing to do with Lewis's work.

Oh, well. I like the song, and I like the book. I suppose I can enjoy them both separately as well as together.

Later, if I'm so inspired, I might put up a review of Out of the Silent Planet. The book, that is.

No comments: