Friday, June 19, 2009

Answer: guilty pleasure

.
OK, here is my all-time musical guilty pleasure.


Ready?


It's the Moody Blues.

I can't help it, I love to listen to that band! From their hippy-dippy space travel stuff from decades ago through the 1980s synth-fests to wherever they ended up, I can't help grooving when I hear a Moody Blues song. That's odd coming from me. As you may know, if you have been reading this blog for a while, I am a fan of heavy metal (Iron Maiden in particular), and I can thrash with the best of them. That's why I don't share my guilty pleasure too readily. I get some stange looks if I do.

Anyway, I like to listen to the Moody Blues. A lot. And, just to jog your memory if you haven't heard them for some time, here is a brief medley:




There. I've shared. Now you. What's your musical guilty pleasure?

6 comments:

AlanDP said...

What? The Moody Blues? THAT'S your guilty pleasure? How disappointing.

You can't fool me. I know your real guilty pleasure is Barry Manilow.

Albatross said...

No! Barry Manilow is to me as Kenny G is to you! Never!

Although I do confess to liking Styx, and I think many of their better songs were those sung by Tommy Shaw (I'm still not entirely convinced he's actually a dude). Does that count as a guilty pleasure?

AlanDP said...

Styx is another one that I will openly admit liking. I have all their albums up to Kilroy, after which I gave up on them.

Tommy Shaw has come to look more and more like an old lesbian as time as gone by.

Keith Alan K said...

My guilty pleasure is Glen Campbell, especially doing those great Jimmy Webb songs like 'Galveston' and 'By The Time I Get To Phoenix'. There's a video on YouTube of him playing 'Wichita Lineman' with the musicians in Stone Temple Pilots that's pretty cool.

AlanDP said...

Well, I guess I don't get it. I would readily admit to listening to both Moody Blues and Glen Campbell, and I have both in my collection. Campbell does some of my favorite songs.

Keith Alan K said...

AlanDP--In the '80s I played guitar in big hair metal bands.
I run sound and play bass in heavy bands to this day.
So it would shock and probably disgust some of my business associates to discover that I like Glen Campbell.
It's a matter of degrees of separation, not an absolute scale, and also context plays a big part.
Among my friends Glen Campbell is as uncool as it gets.
Your crowd and your tastes are obviously not the same as mine, so you just have to accept that in MY world, liking Glen isn't something you admit.