Thursday, April 22, 2010

Review: State quarters - Iowa




I see where Iowa was trying to go with this, but it didn't quite pan out.

The design you see above is some kind of coin-sized adaptation of this painting:




This is a work called Arbor Day by Iowan artist Grant Wood. Another painting of his called American Gothic is much more well-known, and I can't help thinking that Iowa's quarter would have been so much better had they used that work instead. As it is, I think Arbor Day is pretty cool. I like the lighting a lot, and the colors are perfect. But it works as a painting, not a coin design.

This --



-- is crap on a quarter. And its badness is compounded by that cryptic and ultimately senseless phrase, "Foundation in Education." What the hell does that mean? Nothin' I tell ya.

In any case, the only thing that saves this design from a "Bad" rating is that I like the painting they were trying to adapt. Other than that, there's not much here.


Overall rating - 2 - Mediocre

Coming up: Wisconsin

2 comments:

AlanDP said...

"American Gothic" would have made it an awesome quarter.

Albatross said...

No kidding. I probably would have given it a 4 or a 5 if they had done that.