Monday, February 18, 2013

Saturn view

I watched all those videos of that meteor exploding over the Russian landscape, and I was suitably giddy, awed, and a bit frightened, all at the same time. I didn't do a blog post about the event right away, and when I finally got a chance to sit down here and think about it, I thought that everything that could have been said about the event had already been said, and in a better way than I could phrase it. And those images and videos have already made all the rounds and stirred up excitement across the globe.

But I have seen something that is just as spectacular as a meteor mushroom cloud, and it hasn't received nearly as much media attention. It's this incredible image returned to us by the Cassini spacecraft.


Image courtesy NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute.

That deserves at least as much attention as a meteor over Russia. Dontcha think?

No comments: