Monday, September 14, 2009

What I just tried today

.



One word: blech.

Yes, that's Shiner Smokehaus Mesquite Smoked Beer, a brew that some brilliant marketing dude at the Spoetzl Brewery thought would be a good sell around here. I don't know if my fellow Texans liked it much, but I don't.

The back label describes this beer thus:
Brewed with pale malt that's been smoked with native mesquite in the backyard of our little brewery in Shiner, Texas (pop. 2,070), this refreshing Helles-style beer has a smoky flavor that goes great with all the flavors of summer.
No, it doesn't. It goes great with nothing. I will probably finish the six-pack I bought (simply because I hate to waste money, and, hell, the beer's already paid for), but I don't see myself ever wasting another dime on this crappy variety. I like my smoke flavor on my barbecue brisket, not in my beer. Shiner does so well with its Bock, Hefeweizen, and other seasonal flavors that there's no reason to keep this line on.

Dump it, marketing dude.

No comments: