Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Review: State quarters - Virginia




Virginia opted to go way back in history for the inspiration for this quarter design. Way back over four hundred years ago to the founding of the first permanent English settlement on the shores of North America, Jamestown.

I don't know what exactly the three ships on this quarter represent -- I assume they are carrying Englishmen to settle Virginia, but they could very well be the NiƱa, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria, for all I know -- but they look cool. The numbers of sails on the ships verge on a cluttered mess, and part of me doesn't want to like it, but the whole thing represents one image, that of discovery. And that's an important part of the history of any state in the Union, and I will give the designer credit for that.

Overall rating - 4 - Better

New York's turn is coming up.

No comments: