Thursday, August 05, 2010

Correcting my mistake

.
Well, it's a bit embarrassing, but I have to take a moment here to correct a mistake I made on this blog.

Some time ago I put up a post about a new piece of music I had discovered. That post (now corrected) is here. I heard the piece playing on KPAC one day, and, as I usually do when I hear something that I like and have never heard before, I waited until the end to hear the name of the piece and the composer so I could download the work later. I heard the DJ say it the Danzón No. 2 by Keri-Lynn Wilson, someone who I had never heard of before. To tell you the truth, I was a little excited to have learned of a newer piece of classical music that sounded so good!

Back in the 20th Century (way back then!), many composers took music in new directions by experimenting with atonality and alleatory music and 12-tone rows and other methods that look good in theory but that ultimately result in music that is difficult to listen to. But, beginning in recent decades and continuing today, contemporary composers seem to be returning to a mindset that music should sound good, too. There's nothing wrong with experimentation, and there are still composers that work with minimalism and atonality, but ultimately music should be a pleasure to listen to, not a chore. And I'm happy that many of today's composers seem to realize this. (Michael Torke is one of my favorites.)

So, I thought, Hey! Here's a new composer I've never heard of, but that piece is pretty cool. I'll look her up and find out a little more.

And I did. And in short order I found an album of her works, and it contained a recording of the Danzón No. 2 that I had taken such a shine to. I downloaded the piece, and I have been enjoying it immensely.

And then the other day, while driving home from work, I turned on the radio. And, happily, the Danzón No. 2 was playing. But it was a different recording of the piece with slightly different dynamics. I turned up the volume, and I enjoyed listening to how this recording varied from the one I was used to.

Then came the surprise.

At the end of the piece, the DJ announced that we had just heard the Danzón No. 2 from ---- Arturo Márquez!

What?!

As soon as I got home I logged on and did some frantic research, and this is what I found out:

1. Keri-Lynn Wilson is a Canadian conductor and flautist, not a composer (that I can tell).
2. The album I had looked at and downloaded the song from was not a compilation of Wilson's works but of pieces she had conducted. That's what the first DJ had been talking about.
3. I had spelled her name wrong initially.
4. Arturo Márquez is a contemporary Mexican composer, and he is the person who actually wrote the Danzón No. 2.
5. I need to listen to what the DJs say more carefully.

Sorry about any misunderstanding I may have caused by my previous post. I have since corrected it and linked to this explanation in case someone comes across it in the future. I will strive to do better.
.

No comments: