Monday, February 14, 2011

Concert -- Dream Theater




Dream Theater
May 28, 1993
Majestic Theatre
Opening act: Galactic Cowboys

This is the first hard rock/heavy metal concert that I saw in the Majestic Theatre, and it really felt kind of weird to be there banging my head. I'm used to my rock being performed in bars, in night clubs, in the Sunken Garden Theater, at festivals, in arenas, and even in the Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum. You know, places like this:




And this:





And in even dirtier and seedier places. Certainly nothing like this:





Don't get me wrong, I love classical music, too. And I've been in the Majestic Theatre many, many times for performances of the San Antonio Symphony and other ensembles. It's just that I'm used to a certain atmosphere in that place, and it was a bit incongruous to see it fill with a mess of metalheads (including me, mind you). So, overall, the concert was a unique experience, one that was actually pretty darn cool, if weird. Dream Theater rocked, and the opening act wasn't bad, either. And it was all done in a very nice setting where they ring little triangles to let you know that intermission is over and it's time to come back to your seats.

(Just kidding! I don't think they rang the triangle at the Dream Theater concert.)

(I don't ---- think.)

(Hm.)

No comments: