Saturday, June 19, 2010

Review: State quarters - Utah



When I first saw this quarter, it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I saw the trains and realized the importance of the railroad to the American West. I saw the mountains and thought, OK, Utah has mountains. And then I was trying to figure out what city in Utah has that tower as part of its skyline. I thought of Salt Lake City, but I couldn't remember anything about a significant tower in that city, especially not one set against the backdrop of a mountain range. Then I thought of ---- OK, well, the only city I could think of was Salt Lake City. But still, what is with that tower? Why is that giant spire rising from the mountains of Utah to cast its shadow on those two trains moving to greet each other and -------

Wait. What? That's the Golden Spike? Really? That's supposed to be the ceremonial spike that joined the first Transcontinental Railroad in the United States?

Well, they could've made it look more like a spike and less like the Tower of the Americas.





Overall rating - 2 - Mediocre

Oklahoma's OK to be next.

No comments: