Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Review: State quarters - Washington




Mm. I'm disappointed. Washington could have had such a cool design for their quarter if they had kept the fish, enlarged it a bit, put it in the center, and then dumped everything else. The landscape of mountains and trees is a mess, the state nickname is just filler, and the little splashes are cartoonish and annoying.

I made the comment on the Oregon quarter review that I thought they had done a strangely good job of depicting Crater Lake and that I couldn't quite put my finger on why I liked it. Then Alan, a fellow local blogger, made a particularly keen observation that I couldn't argue with:
I think this one works because so much of it is nothing. The trees and mountains show where the water is, but the water itself is just flat nothingness. Imagine how terrible it could be if they'd tried to stamp tiny "wavelets" all over it to show where the water is.

How terrible, indeed.


Overall rating - 2 - Mediocre.

Idaho's in the pipe.

No comments: